Thursday 5 March 2015

Cruelty Make-Up and Cruelty Free Make Up

Disclaimer; All of the information below I have researched and believe to be true.  Legislation and individual company/parent company policies are changing daily and please let me know if any of this information is incorrect.
As my obsession with LUSH and dogs grows, I have started thinking and researching a lot about animal testing.
The law states that in the EU it is illegal to test on animals, or market companies that have been tested on animals. (http://ec.europa.eu/growth/sectors/cosmetics/animal-testing/index_en.htm)
Knowing this I always felt like I was safe to use whatever I want as it hasn’t been tested on animals, and I was not supporting animal testing in any way – but I was very wrong.
Although the products we use may not themselves have been tested on animals, the companies that sell these products have parent companies who do.  This is where it gets a lot more complicated.  
For instance, in China it is illegal to sell cosmetics if they have NOT been tested on animals – forcing companies to test on animals.  Therefore any companies that sell products in China support animal testing.  Sadly this means most of the household cosmetics companies put millions of pounds into animal testing.
Therefore if I buy products from Rimmel I am funding an organisation that actively carries out animal testing and plays a part in killing thousands of animals to create and market their cosmetics.  I realised that after doing this research I was not okay with this, and I am making the effort (starting with cosmetics) to be cruelty free.
For the sake of this post all the companies I will focus on will be mainly a make-up/cosmetic suppliers that I use, or I know are popular amongst people I know.  It is important to note that many that I did not mention also do test on animals. This is purely focused on make-up cosmetics and does not include other product categories.
It is also important to note that many companies will hint and lead you to thinking that they definitely do not test on animals, but by reading the small print it has been proven that that do.
Johnson & Johnson/Aveeno, Revlon, Estee Lauder,  Avon, Benefit, L’Oreal, Bobbi Brown, Clairol, Clarins, Clean and Clear, Clearasil, Clinique, Coach, Crest, Dove, Durex, Elizabeth Arden, Febreze, Garnier, Gilette, Head and Shoulders, Herbal Essences, Jo Malone, Kiehls, L’Occitane, Lancome, MAC, Maxfactor, Maybelline, Nair, Nice ‘n’ Easy, Olay, Origins, Pantene, Pearl Drops, Sensodyne, St. Ives, Tresemme, Vaseline, Veet, Venus, Vicks, The Body Shop*.
Popular Companies that DON’T Test:
(http://www.mediapeta.com/peta/PDF/companiesdonttest.pdf)
Avalon Cosmetics, Barry M, Co-Op, Beauty Without Cruelty, Liz Earle, LUSH, Nails Inc, Neals Yard, Paul Mitchell, Pureology, Superdrug, ELF.
Sadly the list of those that do is much greater than those who don’t.  I want to make a huge effort to try and from now on only buy from cruelty free companies. Which does mean I have to give up some of my favourite products and brands, but I think this is important to send the message to these companies that we do not support animal testing in any way.
This blog was greatly inspired by these videos;
This is all food for thought for me, and it is an issue I cannot get out of my mind.  Obviously there is a LOT more information online and you can e-mail the companies individually to ask what the policy is on animal testing.  Be aware that many will tell you they don’t when they do. More specific questions to ask are; who is your parent company and do they test on animals?  Are any of your ingredients or finished products tested on animals?  Do you sell in China?
I hope this didn’t come across as too preachy.  I am not lecturing, I am just learning and wanted to spread the word.
Lovelove.
x
*I also noticed that The Body Shop is not cruelty free as it is owned by L’Oreal who absolutely test on animals.  See this articlehttp://naturewatch.org/campaign/the-body-shop-boycott

No comments:

Post a Comment