Wednesday 22 July 2009

Frank McCourt.


Frankie died a few days ago, and it really shook me.

Now nobody close to me has ever died, and although he wasn't a personal friend of mine - it kinda felt like he was. He was such an inspiration to me and his literature filled my eyes with both laughter and tears at once whilst he humoured having no money to speak of and having a father who when he wasn;t drinking the dole, was glueing bike tyres onto the bottom of his shoes.

I don't really like Harry Potter, or Twilight, or trashy romance novels, but I love what Frank McCourt contributed to this world of literature through having nothing and still valuing his family and his past even though he got so much success out of his book 'Angelas Ashes' which he published at his retirement age.

I will really miss him, and his books.
I am just so grateful I have his three books sitting in my house which I can read over and over again, and that's such a special thing.

I miss you, Frankie.

No comments:

Post a Comment